Monday, July 16, 2007

Who's Kathy Johnson?

The only person besides me who knows who Kathy Johnson is, or actually isn't, is probably my brother Budd. When we were kids and played our imaginary lives, I was always Kathy Johnson. I don't know why I chose that name - it was just a name I liked and that was who I always was. So, when I decided to create a blog for family stories and other memories, Kathy Johnson reappeared. It seemed appropriate somehow.

As for the name of this blog - Growing Up Civilized - it comes from a comment our mother used to say to us. She would tell my three brothers and me that we acted like a bunch of wild Indians and needed to learn to be civilized. We did eventually become civilized, but I'm sure we gave Mother cause for doubt many times.

My brothers and I grew up in the 50's, 60's and early 70's, so we covered a lot of time and a lot of world changes. I have taken it upon myself to document this journey from my perspective. If the facts are a little skewed, it's not intentional, it's blurry or wishful memory.

One thing is certain, I won't be changing the names to protect the innocent or guilty - what's done is done!

3 comments:

Ash said...

Congrats on becoming part of the blog-o-sphere!

Anonymous said...

Sometime in our teens and somewhere in our travels(and we did travel) for unknown reasons people began to think that I was older than my sister. I thought it was amusing, Kathy Johnson did not, but since that time I have always been Kathy's older brother.

Annie said...

It is perfectly ok with me for you to be the older brother now!