Tuesday, July 17, 2007

The Snake in the Wood Pile

When Budd and I were very young, about 3 and 5, we lived in a tiny little place named Ravel, Louisiana. It was outside of Monroe. I don't remember it even being a town, more a crossroad with a couple of stores. Daddy was in college at LSU and worked at Allied Moving & Storage. Bob had either just been born or Mother was still pregnant - not an important detail to a 5 year old when compared to a snake.

Budd and I along with our black Lab named Nig (yes I KNOW that's not politically correct but we didn't know what that meant in 1950 and it was the South for God's sake!) were playing in the back yard near the wood pile. I don't know why we had a wood pile. I don't remember a fireplace or a wood burning stove, but there must have been some reason for the wood. Anyway, we weren't supposed to play around it.

Well, you know what that means - we did. Nig started barking at the wood pile, Budd and I looked and we both saw a snake. It was a big snake. Any snake is big when you're 3 and 5 years old. We ran inside and told Mother. She didn't believe us, but she came out and looked anyway. She never saw the snake and she never believed that we saw one.

At Daddy's retirement party, Budd and I told Mother that we really did see a snake and she should have believed us. Her comment about that was that we shouldn't have been playing there in the first place! She still didn't believe us...

We really did see a snake...a big one.

4 comments:

Ash said...

I never knew you had a black lab... maybe someday you should compose a list of all the dogs you've had the pleasure of sharing some time with. I only remember Snoopy stories, the dog who barked at Grandmommie when she scolded you guys.

Little Bro said...

Something tells me this is going to be good.

Kathy's Older Brother said...

Nig was actually a black Collie/Lab mix....our protector...followed us everywhere. Yes there was a snake in that woodpile.

Ash said...

Okay, I just re-read this one and realized that it was 45 YEARS LATER that she chastised you (again)... wow. Some memory.